Friday, January 05, 2007

George and Jobling and channel 4



The New Year has brought some interesting experiences already. For some reason I took it upon myself to Google some family names and ended up with a lot of surprising information about my Great Grandfather Mr Jobling and his colleague Mr A.E George. Together in 1899 they established an engineering business behind the Central station in Newcastle Upon Tyne. They took on the lease to a property from the Stephenson brothers (remember them, they invented trains!) who moved to Darlington.
At George and Jobling's they built cars - initially selling Argylls, then importing Model T chassis' to which they hand built bodies. They were famous for building the "Golden Ford" which was raced at Brooklands in 1912 in front of Henry Ford and which was full restored in 2004 for a Channel Four programme. They also built the George and Jobling biplane in 1910 and my Great Grandmother was the 3rd woman in the world to fly in a plane!
I have found some pictures of Mr George with the plane and the restored Golden Ford.
I have more exciting news re George and Jobling inventions later!

2 comments:

Dennish said...

For about 5 yyears I have been researching the life and times of A E George and as a consequence George & Jobling. Snag is, I know virtually nothing about the Jobling side of things.

Would you be prepared to share some information about Robert Lee Jobling with me?

In return I can let you have any of the stuff I have gathered so far.

Please contact me at dennish107@sky.com.

Thanks. Dennis Hill

Dennish said...

For the last few years I have been researching the life of A E George, and as a consequence, George & Jobling.

The snag is, I know very little of Robert Lee Jobling (your Great Grand Father).

Are you willing to tell me anything? In return you are welcome to any pictures and documents I have gathered.

Please get in touch with me at dennish107@sky.com

Thankyou.

Dennis Hill