Friday, May 04, 2007

Concert season is upon us - from pomp to ballads

I have followed Magnum for 29 years ever since I bought their 1978 debut album Kingdom of Madness. I first saw them live at Reading Festival in 1980 along with Slade and Whitesnake (and Budgie and Marillion etc!). I have since then, seen them at the now defunct Mayfair in Newcastle and also the City Hall in the mid 80`s.
So how delighted am I, that they are reformed and back firing on all cylinders with a rifftastic bombastic new album called "Princess Alice and the broken arrow". It has to be the most pretentious title this year and it comes with an album cover by Rodney Matthews! The answer is "very delighted" as I have in my possession tickets for the new tour this month.




AND could it get any better - well it can! Dugald and I have managed to get tickets to see Rush in October on their tour for their new CD "Snakes and Arrows!
And finally we have tickets to see Iain Archer (ex of Snow Patrol) supported by Jacob Golden in the bandroom at Farndale in North Yorkshire. I`m going to see Jacob Golden who I think sounds better than Damien Rice and Jeff Buckley combined, with a bit of Nick Drake in there as well - listen to Out Come the Wolves and just shiver with schizoid fear - go to his website and his MySpace site to listen and be transported to sad sensitive balladeer heaven where weeping CAN go on for a season!! http://www.myspace.com/themusicofjacobgolden

No comments: